Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

My Current "Holy Grail" Mascara


I usually would distinguish a holy grail product that I will always use forever and ever as long as we both shall live/ be produced from a current favorite, but not in the case of a mascara. There are always new kinds, formulas and gimmicks (anyone remember vibrating mascara?). My needs often change from time to time and occasion to occasion. Sometimes I want volume, sometimes I need length, occasionally I get bored and go forth in search of a new gimmick to try. So for mascaras I feel like there can't be a holy grail for me- just a favorite thus the term current holy grail. It fits!

Since I have pretty long, thick lashes to begin with I only really need a mascara to slightly lengthen, add a little bit of volume, and darken my lashes. I like mascaras that aren't clumpy because my lashes tend to get stuck together and turn into a mess quite easily. That being said, most mascaras work at least passably on my lashes. Where I really need help is with the time it takes to put on and results with only a coat because I don't like to or have time to spend 10 minutes putting on mascara. Also, I like my mascara to come off easily and stay put all day especially on my bottom lashes.

I really feel like Maybelline's One by One mascara does everything I need from a mascara and more. I'm pretty sure I have the regular black color, whatever they're calling it these days! :P The brush combs out clumps, the formula dries quickly and doesn't get all over my face, and by adding an extra coat or two I can make my lashes more dramatic if I want. Another thing I love about it is how it isn't crusty or flaky like most mascaras I've tried, there's nothing I hate more than having gross black flakes on my cheeks at the end of my day!


One light coat after 6+ hours

It looks just as good after being at school all day as it does when I first put it on. This is how I typically use the mascara on a day to day basis. It doesn't, however, have any issues building up for more dramatic lashes: 

Same day, 3 coats (2 more on top of what was on in the previous picture)

I thought I'd show you what I was talking about so I threw on two more coats of mascara and snapped another picture! :) It actually only took a minute or so to do so it's perfect for dressing up day eye looks into nighttime ones, it's super black in my opinion!

Moral of my little story: I love this mascara and I feel like anyone looking for a great, subtle and easy, everyday mascara should look into it as well as those who want something more dramatic! Remember that you can always return used cosmetics to drug stores like CVS and Walgreens if you don't like them so I would recommend just buying it there to try it out- just in case it doesn't work for you- even though it's a dollar or two more expensive than stores like Target or Walmart.

-Elle <3

No comments:

Post a Comment